Here are some quick tips so that you can reinvent your meetings online to be more effective.
With MURAL you can:
- Visualize the conversation together
- Co-design ideas and solutions
- Create layouts that are visually engaging
- Present ideas in a dynamic flow
- Finish up to-dos during the meeting
- Work asynchronously to keep momentum
- Team Stand-Up - Stay in sync and keep track of your quarterly goals
- Team Kickoff - Get your team comfortable collaborating
- Project Planning - Align everyone to the project objectives
Steps for having an effective meeting online
- Keep goals in sight at top of mural to keep remote teams on track.
- Visualize the project timeline in the mural before scheduling events in a calendar.
- Include photos of the meeting's participants along with links to their profiles to help identify remote members.
WHAT TO DO
✅ Share the "Project Kickoff" template in advance with the video tutorial.
✅ Create a calendar invite with the meeting's details:
✅ Agenda & duration
✅ Conference call tool
✅ Link to mural
❌ Don't schedule last-minute meetings.
❌ Don't forget to invite people who will be impacted by the decisions.
PREPARE AND RUN
- Show team how to use MURAL
- Assign pre-work
- Follow each other in MURAL
- Facilitators can summon others
- Turn on webcams
- Use a framework for a warm up / ice breaker
- Use icons and images
- Embed documents and link to resources
- Timebox activities
- Invite everyone to contribute
- Organize common themes into areas
- Use comments to keep momentum
- Assign asynchronous tasks
- End with calls to action
- Reflect with a space for feedback
WHAT TO DO
✅ Set rules and guidelines:
- Turn all webcams on
- Keep an open mind and defer judgement
- Mute your microphone when you're not talking
- Build on other people's ideas
✅ Make the meetings interactive:
✅ Assign roles and responsibilities
❌ Don’t read out slides or sticky notes
❌ Don’t be inflexible with the agenda
❌ Don’t check your phone, email or other distractions
After the meeting, send a follow-up email with the key takeaways and CTAs.
- The following article explains how to copy text from sticky notes
WHAT TO DO
✅ Create a follow-up email template to send after meetings.
✅ Include key takeaways and a link to the mural used during the meeting.
✅ Add reminders about decisions and tasks
✅ Leverage comments, chats and tags.
❌ Don’t wait too long to follow up.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Remember, MURAL is a living canvas where you can continue to share ideas asynchronously.
- Comment, chat, and tag others
- Use project rooms to organize murals
- Export content to use in other contexts
- Share links with colleagues
- Create templates for recurring meetings
For more info, visit How to Facilitate Digital Design with Co-located and Distributed Teams